The Emmys are a peer driven ceremony honouring excellence in national primetime programming within various areas of television and emerging media.
The awards are divided into three ceremonies including the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards, Engineering Emmy Awards ceremonies, and the Primetime Emmys telecast. The Primetime Creative Arts and the Engineering Emmy Awards are traditionally held prior to the live telecast.
The ceremonies honour key technical and behind-the-scenes crafts essential to television production including; art direction, cinematography, hairstyling, makeup, music, picture editing, sound editing and mixing, special visual effects, and stunts. Awards are also handed out for animation, commercials, reality series and other programming, as well as acting categories and special honors.
The six winners of the 2013 Emmy for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation are:
- Andy Ristaino for Character Design, Adventure Time, “Puhoy” (Cartoon Network)
- Jenny Gase-Baker for Background Paint, “Mickey Mouse in Croissant de Triomphe” (Disney)
- Joseph Holt for Art Direction, “Mickey Mouse in Croissant de Triomphe” (Disney)
- Alberto Mielgo for Art Direction, TRON: Uprising, “The Stranger” (Disney)
- Andy Bialk for Character Design, Dragons: Riders of Berk, “We Are Family (Part 2)” (Cartoon Network)
- Paul Wee for Character Animation, The Simpsons, “Treehouse Of Horror XXIII” (FOX)
The 65th Emmy Awards telecast will be held live on September 22nd, 2013 at the NOKIA Theater in Los Angeles.